Robust, abundant health may be as close as your sniffer, particularly if you’re a fan of vegan soy candles and essential oils.
According to WebMD, certain plants have medicinal uses. Over the course of history, people have distilled these plants down to their essential oils. The oils were then used to promote better sleep habits, fight fungal infections, and sometimes, just make the room smell delicious.
Essential oil vegan soy candle recipes allow you to turn your home into an aromatherapy center and tap into the many benefits of both essential oils and soy candles.
- How Much Essential Oil To Add To Soy Candles
- Essential Oil Vegan Soy Candle Recipes
- How Much Essential Oil For Candle Making: Ideas for Scents
The Benefits of Soy Candles
Before we explore making essential oil candles, let’s take a look at why you’d want to burn soy candles instead of paraffin wax candles.
There are a number of reasons why it’s better to burn soy candles, but I’ll only concentrate on the health and environmental aspects of soy candles.
According to Love to Know, soy candles come from soybeans and are made from natural, renewable substances. Unlike paraffin candles, which come from petroleum, soy candles are natural and biodegradable.
And making your own essential oil vegan soy candle recipes ensures that your candles remain 100% organic and non-GMO.
How Much Essential Oil To Add To Soy Candles
If you’ve never worked with essential oils before, you may be wondering how much essential oils to add to soy candles. In general, the amount of oils you need to make a candle will vary a bit, depending on how strong the oil is. For example, both sage and juniper oils tend to smell quite strong in my opinion, so it probably would take less of these oils to make a strong scent. Additionally, due to the purity of essential oils, they tend to smell stronger than synthetic oils of the same scent.
That said, a good rule of thumb for the essential oil to pound of wax is about 1.5 teaspoons. The amount of essential oils you’ll have should be less than 7% of the overall makeup of the candle.
Essential Oil Vegan Soy Candle Recipes
To make essential oil vegan soy candle recipes, you’ll need a couple of items.
First, locate the essential oils you’d like to use in your candles. You can find quality essential oils at:
- Plant Therapy
You can also find them at places, like Walmart or Target, which will do in a pinch. That said, they may not be 100% natural and organic, so look around.
Instructions for Making Essential Oil Vegan Candles
Supplies for Essential Oil Vegan Soy Candles
- 1 thick and heavy, heat-resistant jar or glass
- 1 lb. of soy wax candle flakes (Check hobby shops for these.)
- 1 cotton wick with a metal disc on one end
- The essential oil of choice
- Wooden chopsticks
- Start with a clean glass or jar. Wash it and dry it completely before beginning your project. It’s important that everything is clean when you start. Any kind of dirt or contaminant could negatively affect how your candle burns or smells.
- Glue the wick to the bottom of the jar or glass. Superglue works well in this scenario. Press the tab into place with the tip of a chopstick for a couple of seconds until the glue dries.
- Lay a chopstick over the top of the glass. Tie the wick to the chopstick. This will keep it centered while you pour the wax.
- Put the wax chips into a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Once the wax is heated, take it off the stove. Some people prefer to use a double boiler for this step. If you do, pour water into the bottom boiler and bring it to a boil. Pour the wax chips into the top boiler and stir occasionally, though not too much. This could cause bubbles in the wax.
- Add in your essential oils.
- Pour the wax and essential oils into your jar.
- Allow the candle to cool.
- Trim the wick.
How Much Essential Oil For Candle Making: Ideas for Scents
The right essential oils in your soy candles put your mood at ease, pick you up on a dreary day, or relax you enough to help you sleep.
Here are some tips for choosing your oils.
- If you’d like to perk up, choose essential oils with citrus scents in them, like lemon or orange. Or go with mint or spearmint.
- Rose, jasmine, and lavender essential oils bring the scent of flowers to your space. Sandalwood, cedar, and cypress add a bit of woodsy scent to the flowers.
- For scents that smell strongly herbal, go with sage, basil, or rosemary.
You can also try a blend of essential oils to create a more unique smell and to give the candle some specific health and wellness properties. For example, sage essential oil blends well with a number of different essential oils.
Some nice scents arise from the following blends:
- Sage oil and lavender
- Sage oil and Bergamot
- Sage oil and orange or lemon
Incidentally, WebMD reports that sage oil may have an antidepressant effect, so you may want to include it in a couple of your candles.
- Cloves, cinnamon, and orange or apple make nice scents if you want to make holiday essential oil blends.
- Of course, frankincense and myrrh would make the ultimate holiday candle.
How do I avoid putting too much essential oils in my vegan soy candles?
The best way to ensure that you get the right amount of oils in the mix is to gradually pour the oils into the wax, a little bit at a time. You can always add more if you’d like the scent to be stronger.
Will I benefit from these candles?
Essential oils have been used medicinally for thousands of years, and today, people still use them in aromatherapy. Aside from this, candles create a relaxing atmosphere wherever they’re burned. Burning the candle while you’re in the bath or relaxing is a great way to enjoy them.
Are any of the essential oils good for conditions like depression?
Yes. Sage has been shown in studies to benefit those who have depression.
How do I know how much essential oil to add to soy candles?
You should aim for a 7%/ 93% split between essential oils and candle wax. As we mentioned, you can add more oil to the candle if you want it to be stronger, but that ratio is a good place to start.