The Best Beta-Alanine Supplements
Reviews and Buyer’s Guide
If you’re an athlete, then you know that beta-alanine will help increase carnosine levels that boost your performance.
If you’re a vegan athlete, then you know that beta-alanine is commonly found in meat, and you need supplements to get this into your system. Even though it is a naturally occurring amino acid, beta-alanine supplementation will help fuel your workouts.
I searched for vegan-friendly beta-alanine supplements that were also a high-quality product and not a cheap supplement. Here are a few of the best beta-alanine products that I found.
Our Top Beta-Alanine Supplements (2021 Updated)
1 – Transparent Labs Beta-Alanine
Transparent Labs Beta-Alanine is the top beta-alanine for the purists. There are no artificial sweeteners, coloring, or preservatives. What makes this product really special is that it only contains beta-alanine powder.
That’s it. There are no additional ingredients that you have to research to see if it’s for you. If you’re just looking to only add more beta-alanine to your diet, then you will want to consider this.
I enjoyed that it is an unflavored product. It doesn’t taste like anything. You can easily mix it with other liquids like smoothies and not have to worry about creating a gross flavor.
My pre-workout supplement I was taking had a “proprietary blend” of beta-alanine, and it wasn’t cutting the mustard. Transparent Lab’s let me add how much I want, it mixes easy and definitely is giving me the extra punch I wanted. This is my go-to now.
– Nathan S, Verified Buyer
- Considerable savings with cost per serving
- Unflavored so there’s no risk of getting an artificial taste
- Only contains beta-alanine
- The body absorbs it quickly
- Need to mix thoroughly to avoid a pasty texture
It’s a product from a company dedicated to transparency and using science-based ingredients. Transparent Labs made a beta-alanine supplement that is pure, clean, and effective at a good price.
2 – Bulk Supplements Beta-Alanine
Bulk Supplements is a trusted brand with multiple sports supplements. Their beta-alanine supplement is highly recommended because it only contains a pure form of beta-alanine powder with no fillers.
Even though it doesn’t come with a scoop, I liked how the package listed the measurement of the scoop that you will need.
My research shows that, like other Bulk Supplements products, this does its job of providing a boost in energy before a workout session.
In terms of serving sizes, this comes with a lower amount of beta-alanine. They recommend taking 3 scoops daily which is about 1.8 grams. If you take the recommended 3 scoops daily, then this package will last almost 2 months.
- Pure beta-alanine powder
- Lab-tested for verification & guaranteed purity
- Reduces feelings of fatigue
- Increases power & training
- Scoop isn’t provided
- Low amount of beta-alanine
However, if you’re goal is 5 grams a day, then this will only last you about 3 weeks which isn’t the most cost-effective choice.
3 – NOW Sports Beta-Alanine
NOW is another popular supplement brand with its own beta-alanine product. They use CarnoSyn instead of pure beta-alanine.
CarnoSyn is a patented formula that is tested to provide muscles the energy to work harder and longer during an intense workout.
They also claim to delay muscle fatigue and recover faster. Besides being an option for vegans, it’s also non-GMO, Kosher, Steroid-Free, and Quality GMP Assured.
A lot of reviews report that the product works for them. They struggle less with fatigue even though they work out harder in the gym.
Check this video out to know more about NOW Sports Beta-Alanine.
- Uses CarnoSyn instead of pure beta-alanine
- No flavor
- Can last for two months at minimum
- No scoop is provided
It has a low price with good value. Each container has 250 servings and the company recommends taking it 3-4 times a day with at least two hours between servings. So at the very least, this will last you for two months.
4 – Optimum Nutrition Beta-Alanine
My research shows that people enjoy this product. It helps them get the energy and focus they need to do more reps in the gym.
They have an unflavored option which is nice for those who are skeptical about flavored supplements. However, the Fruit Fusion flavor seems to have a particularly delicious taste.
I took a look at the ingredients list, and it uses CarnoSyn beta-alanine instead of just pure beta-alanine. I also noticed that it contains other ingredients like sodium, potassium, magnesium, and more.
- No sugar
- Dissolves easily when mixed with a liquid
- It has 2 flavor options; Fruit Fusion or Unflavored
- Easily supports tougher workouts
- Doesn’t contain as many servings compared to other brands
- Contains other ingredients besides Beta-Alanine
These ingredients aren’t necessarily bad, but if you are only looking for a more pure beta-alanine then this product may not be for you.
5 – NutraBio Beta-Alanine Capsules
You won’t find any proprietary blends with NutraBio. They third-party test all of their products to ensure that they are pure and meet high-quality standards.
It’s true that the only ingredient listed is CarnoSyn which is beta-alanine.
What I like about this product is that it’s a pill and not a powder like you will find in other beta-alanine supplements. I didn’t have to worry about making a mess by mixing the powder with water.
However, one serving doesn’t even have 2 grams of beta-alanine. You may end up needing to take more than one serving to get a good amount of beta-alanine.
- Not a powder, but a capsule
- Can last you for 3 months
- Can train longer and harder for serious lifters
- Lower beta-alanine per serving at 1.6 grams
On the other hand, if you are more sensitive to beta-alanine then this might be enough for you.
6 – Nutricost Beta-Alanine
This is another high-quality Beta-Alanine powder. Based on my research, people loved that this only contained pure and clean Beta-Alanine. It also falls in the right range of how much beta-alanine that you should consume at 3 grams with each serving.
1 scoop has 3 grams and there are 100 scoops in each container. This will last you a long time, and it definitely has one of the best prices per serving.
Due to the powder being unflavored, this is a popular choice for a plant-based pre-workout supplement drink. I didn’t have to worry about choosing a flavor that I didn’t like because I couldn’t taste it.
- Good value
- Only contains pure Beta-Alanine
- Unflavored, great for mixing
- Doesn’t dissolve well
However, it didn’t dissolve that well, and it took a while to mix it thoroughly.
7 – Jacked Factory Nitrosurge
With over 4 million servings sold, Jacked Factory Nitrosurge is certainly popular. One of the first things that I check when looking at a supplement is the ingredient list.
I was surprised that I couldn’t find this information readily available on their website even though they say they are transparent about their ingredients.
Regardless, people seem to enjoy the product anyway.
A lot of people report getting the burst of energy they need without feeling exhausted afterward.
- Surge of energy without the caffeine crash
- cGMP USA Manufactured
- Contains no sugars or carbohydrates
- Need 2 servings to get enough beta-alanine
- Claims of a transparent label that’s not online
They are also happy about the good taste from several flavors including Cherry Limeade and Fruit Punch.
8 – Powher Pre Workout
You only need a quick glance at the pink packaging to know that this is a product specially designed for women.
I know women want a nice body but are concerned that supplements will cause them to bulk up instead of look lean and toned. You don’t have to be so concerned with a product like Powher.
It encourages endurance without adding ingredients like creatine. Creatine helps with muscle growth so by not adding it into their product, you don’t have to worry that you will bulk up.
- Designed for females
- A low-stimulant from natural sources
- Claims to have zero side effects
- No creatine if you want to avoid bulking up
- Contains only 1 gram of Beta-Alanine
They have an option to bundle and save. By purchasing more than 1 container, you can get a discount. If you’re worried you might not get results, Powher has a 90-day guarantee or your money back.
9 – Jacked Factory Altius
A tagline of “skin-tearing pumps” definitely caught my eye, but does it fulfill their promise? As with any sports supplement, you only get what you put you in your workout.
However, my research shows that consumers are happy with the burst of energy they get using Jacked Factory Altius. As it is a pre-workout supplement (know about pre-workout side effects here) it does have a heavy dose of beta-alanine alongside other ingredients designed to help you with your time in the gym.
One person reported they were able to increase weight and reps in their lifting on the first day of use.
- No formula blends that hide bad ingredients
- An almost immediate rush of energy
- Is backed by science
- Sweetened with Stevia
A lot of reviews also report improved focus, and they didn’t get a caffeine crash afterward.
It seems like a considerable option, and if you’re not convinced, they have a hassle-free, 100% money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied.
10 – Cellucor C4 Ultimate
Cellucor is unique because it has the only beta-alanine formula that is patented and clinically studied for its effectiveness.
It’s called CarnoSyn, and Cellucor claims it helps you crush your gym goals. I couldn’t find any factual evidence to back the claim about CarnoSyn on their website, but my research was able to find the claims that it helps with muscle support.
It contains 3.8 grams of the CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine formula and many other ingredients to help you with your endurance.
- 8 fun flavors
- The only beta-alanine formula that is patented and clinically studied to support muscular endurance
- 1 serving is only 5 calories
- Can’t take later in the day due to the high caffeine content. It could mess up your sleep schedule.
If you decide this is the product for you, then you’ll be pleased to learn that you can save 20% and get free shipping when you get a subscription.
What To Look For When Buying Beta-Alanine
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed when deciding which Beta-Alanine supplement is the best fit for you. Here are five things to consider to help you narrow down your choices.
- Beta-alanine content: The recommended dosage for a beta-alanine supplement is in the 2-5 gram range. You should take a look at the label to ensure that one serving has this much beta-alanine. If you’re sensitive to beta-alanine, then you may want to consider choosing supplements on the lower end of the range. You can always up your dosage if your body adjusts and you find yourself needing a higher dosage to get the same results.
- Who made the product: I chose the best companies before I tried their products. I looked at what facilities were used for creating their product, where the ingredients are sourced and analyzed their company’s reputation. You should do the same before trying out a product. Look for trusted brands to ensure that you are getting a high-quality product.
- Value over overall cost: I know math might not be your favorite task, but it’s worth figuring out how much money you spend on a per-serving basis. Sometimes a supplement is more expensive but has a better per serving cost compared to a cheaper brand. A cheaper brand may also mean a cheap product that is filled with ingredients that aren’t good for your body.
- Ingredient list: Always take a look at the nutrition label when choosing a Beta-Alanine supplement. Sometimes you may be surprised with other filler ingredients or words that you can’t pronounce. Other times they may have additional vitamins and minerals that you may want to include in your diet.
- Flavors available: This is up to your personal preference but makes sure to check out what flavors are available. If you are the type of person who likes to rotate flavors, then you may appreciate a brand that has a large variety. You may also want to consider if you like mixing Beta-Alanine with your protein shake. A strawberry margarita flavor might not blend well with your chocolate protein powder. If you avoid flavor at all costs, then you should consider Transparent Labs since they only offer a flavorless product.
Who Can Use Beta-Alanine?
Beta-alanine has benefits for a variety of people, especially those who are physically active. Exercise causes hydrogen ions production which leads to acidity in muscles. These hydrogen ions cause muscle fatigue at the end of this process.
Beta-alanine allows carnosine levels to increase which prevents the process from happening. Carnosine also reduces lactic acid accumulation which means improved athletic performance.
Let’s take a look at who benefits the most:
- Vegetarians/Vegans: Beta-alanine can be found in food, but it’s mostly in meat products like beef, chicken, and fish. Vegetarians or vegans may want to consider beta-alanine supplements to help get the nutrient into their diets.
- Athletes: Beta-alanine is all about improving exercise performance by giving you a burst of energy to help you be better in the gym or on the field. Even if you’re more of a fitness enthusiast than a professional athlete, beta-alanine can help push you further in your fitness routines.
- Strength Trainers: Out of all of the sports, beta-alanine may be most beneficial to those who do strength training. Beta-alanine is best for short bursts of high-intensity exercises like lifting weights.
What Are The Benefits of Beta-Alanine?
Beta-Alanine’s main benefit is it helps significantly improve your athletic performance. It can also reduce fatigue while giving you short bursts of energy. This allows you to do more reps and push yourself harder. In the long run, this can help increase your muscle mass and reach new personal records (1).
Is Beta-Alanine Good For Building Muscle?
Beta-alanine is meant for building muscle. It works by helping you produce a huge boost in energy which allows you to work out harder in the gym. Harder workouts with greater endurance means more muscle mass (2).
What Are The Side Effects Of Beta-Alanine?
Beta-alanine is famous for its tingling sensation it can give to some users. It’s called paresthesia and is a temporary effect. It’s pretty common, and you shouldn’t be concerned if you notice your skin feeling tingly. It’s understandable that this might worry people at first. However, it’s a harmless effect that will go away. Your body will adjust to using beta-alanine supplements, and you may eventually stop feeling this sensation (3).
How Much Beta-Alanine Should I Take?
As I mentioned before, the recommended amount is 2-5 grams per day. You should avoid taking more than 5 grams otherwise you may experience side effects because it’s more amino acids than your body needs. Of course, a doctor or other healthcare professional can advise you on what is best for you.
You may want to take less than 2 grams if you feel the effects quickly. You should also take a look at the other supplements that you are taking concurrently.
Beta-alanine is a popular ingredient in pre-workout supplements which is why we recommended a few containing it above, but you should calculate how much you are already getting in different supplements. You don’t want to overload.
If you want the chance to experiment with the dosage you get, then I recommend purchasing a powder instead of pills. A beta-alanine powder will allow you to adjust for your personal preference that pills can’t do.
When Is The Best Time To Take Beta-Alanine?
The best time to take beta-alanine is before a workout. It gives you more energy and therefore, helps you work harder during your reps. The specific beta-alanine supplement that you choose may have their own recommendations like 25-35 minutes before starting a workout. I would try to avoid taking this later in the day since it could potentially affect your sleep schedule (4).
What Is The Best Beta-Alanine Supplement?
Beta-alanine supplementation is a great option for athletes to work out harder in the gym, and there are plenty of supplements that are available to vegans.
My favorite is Transparent Labs Beta-Alanine. I think it’s one of the most reliable beta-alanine supplements owing largely to the fact it contains pure beta-alanine, and nothing else.
Based on my experience and research, the body is able to absorb this quickly and increase carnosine levels faster.
Click here if you want to purchase Transparent Labs Beta-Ala
Transparent Labs Beta-Alanine
Our #1 Best Beta-Alanine Supplement
- Considerable savings with cost per serving
- Unflavored so there’s no risk of getting an artificial taste
- Only contains beta-alanine
- The body absorbs it quickly
- Get the BEST PRICE until the end of October
- Does Apple Juice Make You Poop: Uncovering the Digestive Effects - November 29, 2023
- Pitaya vs Acai: A Comprehensive Comparison of Nutritional Benefits - November 29, 2023
- Kojic Acid Soap: Unveiling Its Skin Benefits and Uses - November 29, 2023