The Best Plant-Based Digestive Enzyme
Vegan Supplements for Gut Health
Proper digestion allows nutrients to get where they are needed in the quantities that they’re needed.
If you suffer from a compromised digestive system, you can eat all the fresh fruit and produce you want and still suffer from discomfort and malnourishment.
This is where plant-based enzymes come in.
The best enzymes fill the void left by a compromised digestive system and enable badly needed nutrients to enter your system and restore order and proper function.
When enzymes enter the picture, people usually experience a reduction in symptoms like gas, heartburn, inflammation, bloating, and reflux in their body, while also feeling more alert and energetic.
Table of Contents
Vegan digestive enzymes can help restore order to your GI system and enable a higher level of nutrient absorption and overall health of your body.
Below are the best vegan digestive enzymes available on the market today.
Our Top Vegan Digestive Enzymes (2023 Updated)
1 – EnzymeMD
The EnzymeMD from 1MD contains ingredients formulated by a doctor to guarantee its safety.
It contains 18 different enzymes that help in breaking down different types of food.
The enzymes are then assisted by the S. boulardii Probiotic to help the enzymes in digestion and improve gut health.
The products work fast in terms of reducing the discomfort you get after eating – gas, bloating, and indigestion.
- Contains 18 enzymes to breakdown essential nutrients in food
- Includes a probiotic that helps the enzyme
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, and 100% non-GMO
- Few users complain that the product is hard to swallow
The best part is that it’s vegetarian-friendly and contains no GMO.
2 – TRansparent Labs Prebiotic
Prebiotic Greens does it better in two parts. Part-One is Algae Greens: Each serving of Prebiotic Greens contains 3 grams of ultra-nutrient rich spirulina and 3 grams chlorella to deliver vitamins, minerals, protein, and heavy-metal detoxification.
Spirulina and chlorella offer unparalleled nutrition on a gram per gram basis. Part-Two is Prebiotic Fibers: Each serving of prebiotic greens contains 3 grams organic acacia fiber, 3 grams organic green banana flour, and 1 gram organic Jerusalem artichoke fiber which together provide gut-healthy and gluten free soluble, un-soluble, and slow fermenting fibers.
This two pronged approach maximizes nutrient utilization by optimizing your often-overlooked microbiome and consequently affecting all aspects of digestion and wellbeing.supporting the growth of good bacteria.
I also like how they included other powerful botanicals within the capsule for faster effects and results so you can calmly rest after eating.
- Helps in decreasing gas and bloating
- Aids in nutrient absorption
- Supports Digestion
- Ingredients are all-natural (no harmful fillers or additives)
- Contains sulfites and soy which may trigger certain allergic reactions
3 – Zentastic Pre-Pro Biotics
The main active ingredient in Zentastic is called inulin, which is derived from chicory root.
The claim is that this will nourish your gut microbes, rather than adding new ones.
I was initially skeptical about products like this and whether they would work, but my dietitian pointed me to a 2017 study that actually confirmed this.
Now, if you’re going to plan to take this twice a day with breakfast and lunch as recommended, then it won’t work out as the cheapest option.
- Helps to nourish existing microbiome rather than introducing new strains
- Contains a good dose of dietary fiber
- Suitable for twice-daily use with meals
- Vegan-friendly option with no artificial additives
- It’s not the cheapest option
But my personal experience and online reviews are positive enough to more than make up for the higher costs.
4 – Ora Organic
If you’re a fan of pineapple (I personally feel that I must be part-Hawaiian) then you’re going to love this delicious pineapple-flavored powder.
The formula for this Ora product contains 15 different digestive enzymes and 1 billion probiotic bacteria per serving, so you can rest assured that your gut’s floras are going to be healthy and ideally balanced every day.
This powder can work in aiding digestion and reducing inflammation.
- 15 digestive enzymes
- 100% plant-based and vegan friendly
- Delicious pineapple taste
- Great addition to smoothies
- Takes a few weeks to notice effects
I personally found that my food was going down much more easily and I wasn’t having problems with cramps and bloating after a large meal.
5 – Rainbow Light
Rainbow Light uses only plant-based digestive enzymes. The kind that are often removed from the foods we eat during cooking or other types of processing.
By restoring these essential digestive enzymes in your body, they boost nutrient absorption and make digestion the smooth, effective process it should be.
Few realize that raw foods contain virtually all the best enzymes needed to digest them and that those enzymes are removed by processing.
- Packed with plant-based enzymes to improve gut health
- Aids digestion and boosts absorption of nutrients
- Say goodbye to gas, bloating and constipation
- Contains hydroxypropyl methylcellulose.
You can get relief from bloating, gas, diarrhea, constipation and more by adding Rainbow Light digestive enzymes to your diet.
6 – Zenwise Digestive Enzymes
Zenwise Digestive Enzymes utilize pre and probiotics to enhance intestinal health and ensure proper digestion of nutrients.
We’re not saying that TikTok is the best place to get your nutritional advice…but…in this case they did recommend a solid product with a good reputation.
Zenwise makes sure all the best enzymes we should eat are on the menu including lactase, protease, amylase, and papain.
If you currently suffer from bloating, gas and general discomfort after eating or have been plagued by acid reflux or diarrhea, this potent combination of vegan digestive enzymes and 1 billion CFU of essential probiotics will help restore order and bring consistent relief.
- Contains 1 billion probiotic CFU
- Promotes good intestinal health
- Helps you absorb nutrients quickly
- Not celiac safe.
Zenwise allows you to put the power of vegan digestive enzymes behind you while boosting their effectiveness with generous amounts of both prebiotics.
7 – Enzymedica Digest Gold
There are a number of reasons why someone may experience reduced digestive efficiency, but in the end, it mostly comes down to the fact that, for whatever reason, they’re simply not ingesting enough amylase, lipase, protease or other digestive enzymes with the food they eat.
That food then sits undigested in the stomach which creates a cascade of health problems.
Enter Enzymedica Digest Gold. It harvests plant-based enzymes from a range of vegan-friendly whole foods and provides them for you in a convenient once a day capsule.
- Rich in plant-based enzymes to reach optimal digestion
- Regulates bowel movement and prevents bloating
- All-natural and made from pure ingredients
- Taking too many may cause bloating.
You’ll be able to say goodbye to diarrhea, reflux, upset stomach or bloating when you take Enzymedica Digest Gold whole food, vegan-safe, plant-based enzymes.
8 – Source Naturals Essential Enzymes
Digestive inefficiency can stem from many causes including not chewing food properly, eating junk foods, drinking too much alcohol or simply aging.
If a lack of digestive enzymes is not addressed, it can lead to a range of health problems including acid reflux, lethargy, and even malnutrition.
Source Naturals Essential Enzymes restore the proper level of flora in your gut which allows you to more effectively process the foods you eat.
- Sourced from raw foods and vegan-friendly ingredients
- Restores the healthy level of enzymes in your gut
- Helps you process your food effectively
- Has the potential to cause minor side effects like diarrhea if overused.
VeganZyme breaks down problematic foodstuffs, which allow you to metabolize food more effectively while also alleviating nagging GI problems.
What are Digestive Enzymes?
Digestive enzymes are compounds that break down the food we eat once it reaches our gut (1).
The job of these enzymes is to sift through food and harvest the nutrients while passing unused matter on to the intestines for elimination.
Without the proper amount of the best enzymes, our gut becomes overwhelmed.
It is simply unable to handle all the food presented to it, and the result can be anything from acid reflux to bloating, to mental and physical lethargy, and more.
If you have recently begun experiencing gastric distress of some form it could be because a dietary change has left your system short of necessary digestive enzymes. In which case, any of the best digestive supplements above will likely help.
Also, take note that digestive enzymes are different to probiotics. Although they are very similar, they perform different functions to each other.
Watch this video to learn more about it.
Are Digestive Enzymes Vegan?
Not all of them. Since digestive enzymes are a type of protein, they may be derived from either plant, fruit or animal sources.
- Plant-sourced – Plant-sourced digestive enzymes make the best digestive supplements for vegans. They are hearty and won’t be undermined by bacteria in the mouth or by stomach acid. As such, they’ll survive to perform their intended duties in the gut.
- Fruit sourced – Digestive enzyme supplements are sometimes sourced from pineapple or other fruits that are heavy in them. However, they are not as potent as plant-sourced digestive enzymes and may not do as good a job re-establishing order in a compromised stomach.
- Animal sourced – Animal sourced enzymes are often harvested from the pancreas of pigs. There is nothing even remotely vegan-friendly about animal-based digestive enzymes. Because of that, it’s really important for vegans to read the label on any digestive enzyme supplement carefully to make sure it’s one derived from non-animal sources.
Why Should Vegans Take Digestive Enzymes?
If you are experiencing chronic diarrhea, inflammation, constipation, acid reflux or bloating, then your digestive system is trying to tell you something. You’d be wise to listen (2).
In many cases, the problem will be a lack of digestive enzymes. Here are three potential benefits you may enjoy by taking this type of supplement.
- More effective digestion – When we experience bloating or reflux it’s at least in part because food is not being digested properly. The enzyme amylase helps the stomach break down whole grains, fiber, sugar and other tough-to-handle foods easily and thoroughly, thereby alleviating bloating and other symptoms of poor digestion.
- More effective workouts – People who aren’t seeing the kind of results they expect in the gym are often victims of not having enough of the best enzymes in their stomach. If proteins cannot be metabolized properly, muscle growth will stall. The digestive enzyme protease can help reignite your workouts by making more protein available for muscle repair and rebuilding.
- Greater control over your weight – When the stomach is short on digestive enzymes it will have a hard time gleaning nutrients from fats. When this happens, acid reflux is a common result as is weight gain from excessive fat stores. Lipase, an important component of digestive enzyme supplements, will help you process fat more efficiently and minimize weight gain.
Is It Safe?
When taken as directed, the best enzymes are considered safe. Problems may arise when someone is so happy with the results they’re getting from enzymes that makes them feel “more enzymes must be better.”
Not so. Read all labels carefully and don’t stray from recommended dosages.
In addition, it’s wise to consult your doctor before making any dietary changes or taking any type of supplement like enzymes that may change the way your body processes food.
If you feel digestive enzyme are somehow aggravating your body and gut situation, discontinue their use and talk to your doctor.
Our #1 Recommended Vegan Digestive Enzyme is...
Out of all these digestive enzymes, the 1MD EnzymeMD is my top choice for vegans.
Formulated by an expert, this product is guaranteed safe and provides a broad spectrum of digestive support. The product helps a lot in reducing any eating discomforts I had.
It may be a bit pricey, but you’re surely paying for quality.
1MD Nutrition EnzymeMD - Digestive Enzymes Supplement - Doctor Formulated | 18 Plant-Based Enzymes - Gas & Bloating Support | 60 Capsul
- Powerful Probiotic and Enzyme Combination: 18 potent, plant-based digestive enzymes to aid breakdown of important nutrients. The addition of S. boulardii probiotic stimulates enzymatic activity for comprehensive digestive support.*
- Feel Good About What You Eat: Enjoy what you eat without the worry. EnzymeMD helps aid proper breakdown of food to promote optimal digestion while reducing gas production
- Reduce Occasional Digestive Discomfort: Digestive enzymes aid the process of digestion and limit bacterial fermentation. This enhanced digestion reduces occasional gas, bloating, and dysmotility that can occur after eating.*
- Restore Long-Term Digestive Health: Fast-acting enzymes work with the powerful probiotic to stimulate digestion, reinforce the gut barrier, and support long-term health.*
- Vegetarian Capsule For Easy Digestion: Each capsule is tailored to support a robust digestive capacity and to help reduce digestive discomfort, so you benefit from optimal enzymatic activity