Side dishes are meant to be easy, quick, and pair well with the main course. You have no shortage of choices as a vegan or vegetarian. Even side dishes that call for animal products are vegetarian or vegan-adaptable and made better because they are entirely plant-based.
Let's look at some of the yummiest side dishes and find the one you have to try.
- Slamming Sauté Vegetable Side Dish
- More-Than-Green Vegan Collards
- Korean Pan-Fried Tofu
- Cold Vegan Pasta Side Dish for a Summer Day
- Creamy Corn Side Dish Recipe
- Smokin' Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
- Is Tofu Vegan?
Slamming Sauté Vegetable Side Dish
Some of the best side dishes are as colorful as a sunrise.
Sautéd veggies bring a lot to the table, and they don't take all day to cook.
|Frozen peas||2 minutes|
|Greens (kale, bok choy)||3 minutes|
|Bell Peppers||10-12 minutes|
Even dishes that call for animal products are vegetarian or vegan-adaptable and made better because they are entirely plant-based.
More-Than-Green Vegan Collards
No one gets more tired of the color green than vegans and vegetarians. But, there is no reason you can't bring in the brightness to pair with the natural bitterness of collard greens.
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Red Pepper Flakes
Cold Vegan Pasta Side Dish for a Summer Day
When it is hot outside, eating a hot meal sometimes feels like a chore.
Cold pasta salad does a lot for a meal and the person eating it. It makes a perfect side dish for a BBQ or a lunch gathering.
Kicking Vinaigrette Recipe
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of white or red wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- One teaspoon of Italian seasoning (or dried oregano)
- 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lemon juice
Creamy Corn Side Dish Recipe
Just because you are a vegan or vegetarian doesn't mean you can enjoy cream corn. You can reach the heights of creaminess with this corn side dish.
- Fresh corn (or one can of corn)
- Finely sliced scallions
- 5 Tablespoons of vegan mayo
- 2 Tablespoons of dairy-free yogurt (or non-dairy alternative of choice)
- One teaspoon of mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground white pepper
- You will mix the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, and white pepper in a bowl.
- Then add in the corn and scallions.
- Once you've mixed the ingredients thoroughly, throw it in the fridge for a few hours. For the optimal taste experience, let it sit in the refrigerator overnight.
Smokin' Southern Green Beans and Potatoes
You have to admit that green beans get boring real fast. But, you can add a lot of comfort and hominess to an otherwise bland bean, southern style.
- Green beans
- Baby potatoes
- Smoked paprika (you won't even think about the missing bacon)
Korean Pan-Fried Tofu
Tofu isn't just for main dishes. Korean pan-fried tofu brings taste and complexity and is a great way to start a meal.
- Soy sauce
- Raw sugar
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Sesame oil
- Minced garlic
Is tofu vegan?
Tofu is one of those confusing meat alternatives that people aren't quite sure about.
Tofu is vegan and vegetarian safe because it contains no animal products or derivates.
What does tofu go with?
Tofu is versatile and goes well with just about anything.
You can scramble it like eggs, crisp it up for an afternoon snack, or make a vegan or vegetarian side dish that your friends will have to try.
Quick and Easy Tofu Crisps
Tofu takes a bit to cook. But did you know you can crisp it up in 20-25 using a skillet?
- Extra-firm tofu (it has to be extra firm to achieve its awesomeness)
- A little sea salt
- Your choice of seasoning (chili powder, tamari, etc)
- Use a little grapeseed or avocado oil to keep the tofu from sticking to the pan
Tofu crisps go with just about anything, depending on how you season it. And kids love it and don't even know that it's tofu.
What is the difference between extra firm tofu and firm tofu?
Tofu textures are everything when you're cooking up new favorites.
Tofu that is the extra firm has less water than firm tofu. Also, extra firm tofu doesn't go well in marinade because it doesn't absorb the sauce.
What is the difference between canned and fresh vegetables?
Fresh produce is always better than canned because the processing of vegetables or fruit strips out a little of the nutrients. But, fresh veggies are not always an option we have.
Canned vegetables and fruit doesn't lose enough to make a difference, and once in the can, the vitamins and other nutrients remain preserved.
Is pasta vegan?
Most pasta is vegan by nature, even packaged pasta.