Selenium is an essential mineral, meaning that you can only get it through the food you eat in your diet or via supplementation.
This mineral offers numerous health benefits, such as an improved immune system and heart health. Generally, plant based diets provide very little selenium, so it is worth making sure you are not deficient. Good dietary sources of this mineral include milk and yoghurt, which for obvious reasons cannot be consumed.
Taking supplements that contain selenium may help if you are not getting enough through diet alone. Below is a list of the best vegan selenium supplements you can take.
Our Top Vegan Selenium Supplements
1 - Innate Response Formulas (Editor's Choice)
Made with a blend of nourishing organic foods and botanicals that include spinach, ginger, turmeric and beetroot among others, Innate Response Formulas is a selenium supplement used to support optimal health, while providing an increasing number of antioxidants and other nutrients in your body.
This product is Non-GMO Project Verified, Certified Glyphosate Residue Free, Certified B Corp, Certified Kosher, tested for 125+ herbicides and pesticides, free of gluten, as well as dairy and soy.
- Organic ingredients used
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarian use
- Free of herbicides and pesticides
- A low dosage of selenium with just 50 mcg per serving
2 - Go Nutrients
Go Nutrients selenium supplement is available in drop form, so there is no need to swallow any tablets or capsules. This means that its ingredients are quickly absorbed to ensure the benefits are experienced quickly.
Using these capsules may help regulate thyroid function and boost your cardiovascular health. As it acts as an antioxidant it will fight oxidative stress and the damage caused by free radicals.
Using supplements like this may boost your immune system, will increase the amount of nutrients in your body and help contribute to a longer and healthier life.
- Quickly absorbed due to being available in drop form
- Helps regulate thyroid function
- Boosts cardiovascular health
- Acts as an antioxidant
- Customer complaints about the taste of the drops
3 - Global Healing Center
Global Healing Center selenium supplements are made from natural mustard seed extract. As it is a whole food form of selenium it is quickly and easily absorbed.
Like the other selenium supplements on this list, you may see improved cardiovascular health, and protection for your thyroid. With its antioxidant and vitamin content providing defense against the free radicals that cause premature aging.
This selenium product is vegan friendly and delivers 200 mcg in each serving.
- Contains the recommended dosage of selenium
- This supplement is quickly and easily absorbed
- Offers numerous health benefits
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarian friendly
- A few customers have received broken bottles during delivery
4 - Earthier Organic
Consuming products like Earthier Organic will help increase your selenium levels. This will ensure you experience the usual benefits associated with this essential mineral.
Made from whole-food extracts such as mustard seed extract, seaweed, and bamboo extract, this ensures absorbability is good.
This product is free of preservatives, excipients, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide, gluten and vegan friendly.
- Will increase your intake of selenium
- Made from whole-food extracts
- Free of preservatives
- Safe for vegans and vegetarian use
- The ingredients smell when removed from the capsules
5 - Nested Naturals
Supplements like Nested Naturals may help increase the amount of selenium you consume daily, providing various benefits. The antioxidants and vitamin content found in this product can neutralize free radicals, for example.
Its capsules contain L-Selenomethionine, which is more bioavailable than selenate and selenite forms of selenium.
The product itself is vegan friendly and contains no GMOs.
- Neutralizes free radicals
- Contains the more bioavailable L-Selenomethionine
- Vegan and vegetarian friendly
- No GMOs
- Made with grains that may be unsuitable for those with thyroid issues or an autoimmune disease
6 - BRI Nutrition
Selenium supplements like BRI Nutrition can help those who are deficient in this essential mineral, ensuring the benefits are experienced, such as an increase in antioxidant production.
This particular product is easy to swallow and uses vegetarian-friendly capsules.
- Easily absorbed Selenomethionine is used
- Easy to swallow
- Vegetarian-friendly capsules
- Impressive 60-day guarantee
- Reports from users of headaches and abdominal pain
7 - Country Life
Made from a bioactive form of selenium, Country Life supplements are claimed to help support your immunity, by increasing antioxidant production.
Each serving contains 100 mcg of Selenomethionine, which is one of the most easily absorbed selenium varieties available.
This product is certified free of gluten, is vegan, kosher and halal made with recyclable packaging. There are no preservatives or artificial colors, flavors or sweeteners used either.
- Helps support your immunity
- Contains Selenomethionine, which is easily absorbed
- Free of preservatives and artificial colors
- The dosage is lower than we would recommend
8 - Solgar
Solgar is a source of selenium that you can use to increase your daily intake.
Made from Selenomethionine, one of the best variants, that ensures the selenium will be absorbed quickly. Providing you with an increase in antioxidants that will help fight against cell-damaging free radicals.
It is also claimed to help recycle vitamin E, which also aids your immunity. Solgar is yeast-free, gluten-free and is suitable for use by vegans. There are also no artificial flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, and colors used.
- Will be absorbed quickly
- Helps recycle vitamin E
- Suitable for vegans
- Free of artificial flavors and colors
- The capsules smell bad
9 - Thorne
This product contains Selenomethionine, which is one of the most bioavailable sources of selenium.
When consumed, Thorne is said to support the function of your thyroid. It will also help to increase antioxidant production.
Only the purest ingredients are used, with no gluten or other allergens present in the formula, such as eggs or nuts. There is also no soy, dairy, yeast, shellfish, or fish either.
- Supports the function of your thyroid
- Good bioavailability
- No gluten
- No allergens
- Reports that the capsules smell awful
10 - Blue Bonnet Nutrition
Blue Bonnet Nutrition selenium contains 200 mcg of Selenomethionine. One of the recommended forms of selenium, known for its absorbability.
Products like this are a good source of this essential mineral and may increase your antioxidant levels. This product is soy-free, gluten-free, non-GMO, kosher certified, dairy-free, and suitable for vegan.
It is also free of milk, egg, fish, crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans, as well as corn, yeast, gluten, barley, rice, sodium, and sugar.
- Offers nutritional support
- Contains Selenomethionine
- Gluten-free and non-GMO
- Free of allergens
- The smell on the capsules are disgusting
Potential Health Benefits of Selenium
Research has shown that the health benefits of this selenium are:
- Reduced risk of developing certain cancers. It has been shown to reduce DNA damage and oxidative stress, boost your immune system, and destroy cancer cells .
- Protection against heart disease. Oxidative stress and inflammation can cause a buildup of plaque in your arteries . This mineral helps to reduce both.
- Prevents mental decline. Oxidative stress is believed to be involved in both the onset and progression of neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer’s . Selenium has been shown to reduce oxidative stress. Research has also found that those who undertake the Mediterranean diet, a diet that involves eating foods rich in selenium like seafood and nuts, had a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s .
- Important for thyroid health. This mineral is essential for maintaining the health of your thyroid gland. The thyroid tissue contains the most selenium of any other organ in the body .
- Boosts the immune system. When oxidative stress is lowered you will experience less inflammation and see better immunity .
- Reduces the symptoms of asthma. Asthma is caused by oxidative stress and inflammation, causing your airways to become inflamed and narrow. This mineral can reduce inflammation, which may help reduce these symptoms .
Possible Side Effects Of Taking Selenium?
Research has found that long term use of selenium, or too much selenium, could result in potentially dangerous side effects being experienced, these include:
- Nausea or vomiting
- A lack of energy, feeling irritable or very tired
- Hair loss, mild rash, brittle fingernails, and white streaks on your nails
- Tremors and feeling light-headed
- Muscle tenderness
- Flushed skin
- A metallic taste, bad breath, and strong body odor
- Easily bruised and bleeding
If you experience any of these side effects then I would speak to your doctor.
I would recommend emergency medical help if you encounter the following signs of an allergic reaction: hives, difficulty breathing or swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
A safer alternative to selenium supplements are actually finding vegan sources that contains it. You can check our article here.
Precautions Of Selenium
Research indicates that if you are pregnant or breastfeeding then it is recommended you avoid selenium doses of over 400 mcg daily.
A little bit can be very good, but once you go above a certain level there can be side effects.
- Dr. Eliseo Guallar of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore
Plant-based prenatal vitamins with selenium typically have the correct doses.
Others who should avoid supplementing with selenium include:
- Those undergoing dialysis
- If you have an underactive thyroid
- If you have had skin cancer in the past
- Are going to be having surgery in the next 2 weeks
What Are The Different Types of Selenium Supplement?
There are 4 different types of selenium supplement:
- Selenium sulfide - A topical substance usually used to relieve itching and flaking of the scalp.
- Sodium selenite - An inorganic compound is mainly used in the manufacture of colorless glass. It is also used in pet food.
- Selenium-enriched yeast - This is an organic form produced from yeast fermentation. The yeast is often used in both animal and human food production.
- Selenomethionine and Selenocysteine - These are naturally occurring amino acids that are found in foods such as Brazil nuts, cereal grains, soybeans, and grassland legumes.
Of these 4, the bottom two types of selenium are the ones I would recommend. This is because they are organic and are not removed as easily by your kidneys, so offer more health benefits.
Why Do We Need Selenium Supplementation?
The food you eat will have an impact on your selenium intake. The problem is that the concentration of this mineral will be different in the soils around the world, meaning that the content within foods will differ too.
Research has found that there are other factors that may cause a selenium deficiency, such as dialysis, HIV infection, smoking, and heavy alcohol consumption.
If you believe that you have a deficiency of selenium then it may be an idea to speak to a doctor who will be able to perform a test by analyzing your blood, urine, hair, and nails.
Some people are advised to take supplements under medical guidance and should talk to their doctor if they are worried.
- Yinka Ebo, senior health information officer at Cancer Research UK
How To Choose The Best Selenium Supplement
When choosing the best selenium supplements you will need to pay close attention to the type of selenium it contains.
The different forms of selenium are absorbed and metabolized differently. It is recommended that you opt for an organic variety rather than inorganic selenium.
Inorganic selenium will be quickly absorbed in your intestine, but will not be retained. It will be filtered out by your kidneys and excreted as urine, so the health benefits are lost.
Another factor to take into consideration when choosing supplements is its dosage.
Most adults need around 55 mcg of selenium daily, but those who are deficient will need more. Therefore opt for a supplement that contains 200 mcg of this mineral.
What Are The Symptoms Of Selenium Deficiency?
The symptoms of selenium deficiency are infertility in men and women, muscle weakness, fatigue, mental fog, hair loss, and a weakened immune system. Selenium deficiency also decreases synthesis of the thyroid hormone.
What Is The Recommended Intake Of Selenium?
The recommended intake of selenium is 55 micrograms (mcg) per day for adults. Pregnant women should be consuming 60 mcg daily while lactating women should consume 70 mcg a day.
Is It Safe To Take Selenium Every Day?
It is safe to take selenium products every day, but only for the short term, and then only in doses less than 400 mcg.
It is not recommended to take more than this dosage, nor is it recommended to take it long term. Doing so may result in selenium toxicity developing.
If you have low selenium in your body and you don't want to overdose yourself with supplements, brown rice is a great source of selenium and it's natural.
Our #1 Recommended Vegan Selenium Supplement?
Selenium is an essential mineral that your body needs for a variety of bodily functions, including your metabolism and thyroid function.
Most people will get enough selenium via the food they eat, but for some, they will need to resort to using supplements that contain this mineral.
While many of the supplements we have suggested will help increase your selenium intake, the supplement we would recommend best is Innate Response Formulas.
It is a high quality supplement made using organic ingredients that ensure quick absorption of the mineral. This supplement is also free of herbicides and pesticides, free of gluten, and is suitable for vegans.
If you want to experience the proven health benefits of selenium then this supplement is highly recommended to improve your immune health.
- Best Homemade Vegan Ice Cream Recipes
Dairy-Free & Super Healthy - January 14, 2021
- PrimeShred Review
Does This Fat Burner Work or Is It a Scam? - January 11, 2021
- PhenGold Review
Are These Weight Loss Pills Really Effective? - January 11, 2021