Looking for the best vegan sauce that is truly vegan is a lot harder than it seems. Luckily, we have researched and found five of the great best vegan sauces that you can easily use on many occasions without any worries.
We understand that your vegan diet doesn't need to have a single food group compulsorily, and thus, we have tried to include various sauces you can use for pasta, pizzas, stir fry, dressings, etc. So, before reading, ensure you have an empty drawer in your pantry for all these nutritious, healthy, and mainly vegan sauces.
Top Vegan Sauces (2021 Updated)
1 - Daiya Alfredo Style Vegan Cheeze Sauce (Editor's Choice)
Our first winner of the best vegan sauce is Daiya Alfredo Style Vegan Sauce. The company makes sure that each product is carefully made with high-quality plant-based ingredients.
Peeling, steaming, blending vegetables, and adding several ingredients and specific spices can be a lot of work. However, if you wish to make something quick, this sauce is perfect for such times.
We recommend this product if you want to dive into the smooth, creamy flavor of natural cheesy sauce. Read the featured specs and benefits to understand the product even better.
- Manufacturer: Daiya
- Flavor: Alfredo Style Cheese Sauce
- Ingredients: Filtered water, tapioca starch, non-GMO expeller pressed: Canola and safflower oil, coconut oil, natural vegan flavors, sea salt, pea protein isolate, Tricalcium phosphate, cane sugar, vegan lactic acid, xanthan gum, titanium dioxide (naturally occurring mineral), yeast extract, spices, onion, garlic
- Volume: 8.12 Pounds
- This plant-based vegan alfredo sauce believes that dairy-free ingredients don't have to be flavor-free—this product is made out of the freshest ingredients that make this sauce even better.
- If you like sauces that are a little more flavorful and highly seasoned, this is going to be your next favorite purchase. This alfredo-style vegan sauce is highly savory and doesn't taste bland.
- This vegan cheese sauce is utterly devoid of dairy, gluten, and soy. The company even makes special efforts to keep the sauce egg, fish, and peanut-free. As a result, people with mild food allergies can enjoy this product without thinking twice.
- This sauce doesn't require additional cooking or thickening before eating. The sauce comes completely ready in small pouches that are perfect for single-time serves. You can mix your veggies, nachos, or fettuccine pasta into the sauce and serve hot.
- Daiya dairy-free alfredo-style sauce is 100% vegan as it does not contain any animal or animal by-products to heighten the taste or increase the quantity.
- The sauce does not contain any GMO and is free from artificial flavoring. It is incredibly safe to feed your kids as the essential ingredients are healthy and clinically tested.
- The packet does not come as a powder which would then require additional reconstitution. Instead, you can pour it as is for quicker meal prep.
- In addition to the flavorful taste, this sauce is an excellent source of calcium. Vegans usually have a calcium deficit diet, but you do not have to consume extra supplements as the sauce makes sure that you reach your daily percentage of calcium requirement.
- A few of the loyal Daiya consumers found the smell a little too overpowering.
- Many vegans feel it would be the best sauce if they reduced the ratio of salt in their sauce mix.
Daiya is genuinely vegan and is officially certified as a vegan brand by Vegan Action. If you are a cynical vegan, worry no more; this product is free from animals and purely relies on plant-based ingredients.
We highly recommend this sauce if you miss eating cheesy alfredo. This all-natural sauce is quick and will surely satiate your cravings for cheese. If the sauce feels a little thick, we recommend adding unsweetened almond milk to thin out the mixture.
2 - #Runner up Coconut Secret Vegan Coconut Aminos
If you are on the market for the best vegan alternative, we would like to introduce our runner-up sauce by Coconut Secret.
But, first, let us explore the benefits and drawbacks to help you decide the product's quality.
- Manufacturer: Gluten Free Palace
- Flavor: Coconut
- Ingredients: Certified organic coconut sap - naturally aged and blended with sun-dried, mineral-rich sea salt.
- Volume: 128 Ounces
- This coconut amino sauce is made with natural ingredients from coconut tree sap. The flavor is excellent to substitute for soy sauce. You can sprinkle it on salads, make dressings, sauces or sprinkle on sushi.
- Since the sauce is made with coconut tree sap and not coconuts, you barely taste the infamous coconutty flavor. This product is an excellent sauce for people who strongly dislike the taste of coconut.
- Fewer ingredients equal more outstanding quality natural products. This delicious sauce is made with mere two ingredients- coconut tree sap and sea salt.
- This Coconut Secret Vegan Coconut Aminos has a whopping 73% less sodium than your standard, regular soy sauce. Since the taste is exactly similar, you are getting a healthier alternative without compromising with the flavor.
- The product contains no-GMO, no-MSG and is suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- This sauce contains an additional 17 amino acids, which truly makes this the healthiest Asian condiment on the market.
- The product is nearly perfect but lacks in the department of preservatives.
- Many consumers noticed that the jar catches mold after two to three months, even after refrigeration.
- The big size makes it challenging to end the sauce within two months, and the sauce usually goes to waste.
The company uses total sustainable practices to grow and make your coconut amino. Any agrochemicals and GMOs are strictly prohibited at their farms in the Philippines. On top of that, the company uses environmentally sustainable farming methods and follows rigorous, fair trade practices. You can consume this product with the relief that each bottle is made, keeping nature in mind.
This sauce is perfect for people who have a soy allergy. This natural product is excellent for enjoying the same great taste without compromising on health.
3 - Michael's Of Brooklyn Vegan Sauce
Michael's Of Brooklyn is an ultimate brand to buy rich pasta sauces and quality baked goods. The brand mainly keeps releasing high-quality jarred pasta sauces for vegans and people who like healthy and pure alternatives.
Let us dive down to find the benefits and drawbacks of this pasta sauce.
- Manufacturer: Michaels Of Brooklyn
- Flavor: Tomato and basil
- Ingredients: Imported Italian tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh garlic, Italian olive oil, spices, and fresh parsley.
- Volume: 6.99 Kilograms
- This high-quality tomato and basil paste is made with quality ingredients. You are bound to taste the wholesome and unadulterated flavor of rich and ripe tomatoes with each bite. This product is undoubtedly one of the best vegan sauces for rice, risotto, and pasta.
- The sauce is GMO-free and uses only the choices and freshest basil and tomatoes cultivated with organic practices.
- Each bottle contains low sodium than other chemically produced and preservative-filled tomato sauces.
- This basil and tomato sauce is completely vegan and does not have any animal or animal by-products in them.
- The sauce is even free from wheat and yeast, making it pure and suitable for people who wish to keep yeast out of their diets.
- The sauce uses mere six ingredients and does not add any artificial flavors and additives to change the natural consistency and taste of the product.
- A few loyal consumers enjoy the taste but find the paste a little too watery for their liking. They had to reduce the sauce to bring it to the right consistency.
- Since the recipe focuses on tomato and basil, the sauce doesn't have pepper or onions, which can be a drawback for people who like various intense flavors in their pasta sauce.
This vegan tomato and basil sauce comes in an environmentally friendly glass jar. The oils and taste of the sauce would not mix with the plastic containers, and the paste would stay considerably fresh for a long time.
We advise you to buy this product to taste an authentic tomato-based sauce without many intense flavors. The company doesn't add any additional sugar, so it is excellent for people watching their weight.
4 - #Alternative: Jersey Italian Vegan Gravy
This six-year-old Jersey-based company produces and sells in over 11,000 stores and distributes their exclusive sauces at Whole Foods, Food Town, La Fede, and many more big stores;
let us read their drawbacks and benefits to help you make a wise decision.
- Manufacturer: Jersey Italian Gravy
- Flavor: Classic
- Ingredients: Vine-ripened tomatoes, oil blend (canola oil, extra virgin olive oil), onions, cane sugar, and salt
- Volume: 7.42 Kilograms
- This vegan pasta sauce is made keeping in mind the natural taste of rustic tomato sauce, which would indeed trigger your fond childhood memories.
- The dish is exclusively made using vine-ripened tomatoes, oil, onions, cane sugar, and salt. The limited ingredients keep the sauce authentic and straightforward.
- Each batch is made in limited quantity for better quality control. As a result, you will always receive a good quality product without any manufacturing or formulation mishaps.
- This pasta sauce is slow-cooked to let the sauce emulsify its natural, herby, and earthy flavors. The process creates a rich flavor profile that is undoubtedly tasty and natural.
- Each bottle is made with high-quality fresh tomatoes. The company does not use any concentrate or puree as its base ingredients.
- The sauce is 100% natural and does not include preservatives or artificial flavors and spices. Since each ingredient is carefully packed, you will taste the actual quality of the product without any doubt.
- This product is natural, organic, and vegan friendly. The ingredients do not include animals or animal by-products in the processing and manufacturing of the product.
- The sauce is a little too sweet, as per the consumer's review.
- Many people found the sugar a little overpowering, resulting in a sauce that tastes unnaturally sweet.
The company makes sure to pack its products securely. Your box will arrive with good packaging, and an honest thank you letter from the owners.
If you have a dominant sweet tooth and like sweetness in your tomato sauce, then we recommend purchasing without thinking twice. The sauce is appropriately thick and has a great overall flavor; you do not need to add any extra flavors to liven up the sauce.
5 - #Alternative: Lima Tamari Vegan Organic Soy Sauce
Our last but surely not least is the Lima Tamari Began Organic Soy Sauce. The rich taste of soy sauce is induced into the bottle for a more heightened flavor profile.
Let us read the drawbacks and features to understand this product.
- Manufacturer: Lima
- Flavor: Soy sauce
- Ingredients: Water, soybeans, sea salt, alcohol, A.oryzae.
- Volume: 1.94 Kilograms
- This Tamari soy does not have gluten and is an excellent choice for people who suffer from gluten allergies.
- The product is made purely with a few ingredients and does not include any additional additives.
- The entire product is vegan-free and can be used by vegans without worrying twice.
- This Tamari soy sauce has a more rich and umami flavor than the regular soy sauce.
- This sauce is more concentrated and is a lot thicker than traditional soy sauce.
- This sauce is robust and very salty, just like regular soy sauce. Usually, Tamari soy sauce is on a milder side, but this is comparatively saltier with an intense flavor.
- The glass packaging isn't the most ideal as it is a type of sauce that gets used every day and sometimes just like salt. A plastic bottle would reduce the chances of any unwanted accidents.
Unfortunately, we couldn't find any extra feature worth mentioning.
This product is a standard, simple substitution to soy sauce, which generally has gluten, so if you are a vegan with a gluten allergy, you cannot go wrong with this product.
Vegan Sauces FAQs
What sauces are plant-based?
Most food lovers will agree that the difference between a good dish and an extraordinary dish is that silky, rich sauce! With the right balance of sour, salt, sweet, chili, and umami, sauces could elevate the flavor profile. Plant-based sauces do not use any animal products. Thus using cow milk, eggs, chicken/fish stock, and chicken seasoning are all out of the question. Instead, vegan sauces are emerging on the market racks. However, there are a lot many blogs and vlogs that give out amazing recipes of vegan sauces that could be churned out from your kitchen!
Some of the common ingredients used for plant-based sauces include peanuts, chickpea, cashews, tahini, and maple syrup for the base and texture. In addition, condiments like garlic, mustard, dill, and red chili make your sauces vibrant in taste.
Blending a date paste, for example, serves as a good flavoring for those who opt for sweet sauces and a high nutritional gain. Making one’s sour cream (paired commonly with potato crisps!) with an all plant ingredient is also now in vogue. Cashews, apple cider, a squeeze of lemon, mustard, and water (as per the preference of consistency) make you a good jar of vegan sour cream to use!
Chickpea is another common ingredient used to create various sauces and dips. The texture of blended chickpeas serves as an ideal base for a saucy- consistency. It can then be incorporated with different flavoring and seasoning to create complex sauces. Eggplant, pomegranate juice, tahini roasted red pepper are ideal ingredients to pair your chickpeas with.
Can Vegans eat ketchup and mustard?
Ketchup and mustard are some of the most common household items found in racks, refrigerators, or kitchen corners. They are appreciated for their flexible pairing with sandwiches, burgers, fried treats, noodles, etc. They serve to be ideal as a meal condiment or an ingredient. An ideal doubt that would arise in the minds of fellow vegans or the to-be vegans is if these two master sauces are dairy-free products.
Mostly, the classic ketchup and mustard sauce are both said to be vegan friendly. Ketchup is an emulsion of vegetable puree, and vinegar and mustard sauce are grounded mustard mixed with water, sugar, salt, and vinegar.
However, it is essential to note that certain varieties like honey mustard or Dijon mustard are not vegan. In honey, many believe that honey should not be considered “vegan” as it is extracted from bees, and “bee farming” itself could be harmful to the bees. The process of manufacturing Dijon mustard is said to include animal products of a certain kind.
These include milk and animal protein, egg whites, etc. In ketchup, the essential ingredients that manufacturers use qualify the condiment as vegan friendly. However, with an increasing variety of ketchup, it is always necessary to look through the ingredients.
Can vegans use soy sauce?
An essential condiment that shines bright in the ingredient basket of vegan fellows is Soy-based products. Soy is considered a healthy and ideal alternative for the vegan community. It serves to be a wholesome and protein-rich source and is used for processing multiple products like milk, chips, soy meat, oil, etc. It is particularly appreciated for its meaty taste.
Another important soy-based product is the silky smooth soy sauce. Bringing a quality flavor profile to various dishes, soy sauce is considered a vital enhancer, especially in Chinese & Japanese cuisines. The traditional soy sauce contains soybeans, wheat, brine, etc. The making of soy sauce involves fermentation.
The answer to whether soy sauces are vegan is a complex one and needs the consideration of the following information.
Many soy sauces might also include fish sauce, which can be easily known from the product label. The issue's complexity arises when one has to comment on the fermentation process and potential sticking points. For, e.g., there could be a possibility of the acid used in fermentation being derived from animal products.
Thus, whether soy sauce could be classified as 100% vegan is a point of contention. It depends on the processes followed by the manufacturers.
A particular way of being sure about the same is by contacting the manufacturers directly or making their vegan-friendly soy sauce at home.
Is coconut aminos better than soy sauce?
Coconut aminos is a seasoning sauce made from coconut (though it tastes nothing like coconut!), sea salt, and sugar. Coconut aminos are most frequently used as salad dressings, marinades, or stir-fried recipes. Thus coconut aminos can mimic soy sauce to a great extent in noodle, fried, and salad dishes.
It is regarded as an alternative to Soy sauce because of the similar flavor profile. However, coconut amino is not as developed or rich in taste as a traditional soy sauce. Compared to soy sauce or tamari, coconut aminos are not as salty.
They are, in fact, on the sweeter side. However, it is appreciated to be an ideal alternative for people searching for gluten and wheat-free options. It is also suitable for those following a Paleo or keto lifestyle.
Both soy sauce and coconut aminos at the core are by-products of the fermentation process. Coconut aminos are much favored when it comes to lower sodium content than their traditional counterparts. Coconut aminos are marketed as a “healthier alternative” to soy sauce because they are free of common allergens like soy and wheat.
However, it is not necessarily a portion of healthy food. Many suggest that coconut aminos are considered effective in lowering heart disease and diabetes risks; the same has not been guaranteed by solid research. Thus, in conclusion, coconut aminos are a better alternative in seeking a gluten/wheat/ free and low sodium condiment. It is not a choice towards a healthier option but one that is based on selection. Indeed, coconut aminos are not the only substitute for soy sauce.
Tamari, homemade soy sauce is also preferred. Substituting soy sauce with coconut aminos means adjusting the quantities to attain a similar flavor profile.
We hope our buyer's guide for the best vegan sauces and dressings helped find the best quality sauces made with nothing but pure ingredients. The dressings that we mentioned are excellent to store in your pantry for various uses.
The different varieties will indeed let you make delectable fresh vegan meals right from your very own kitchen.