When making the switch to a plant-based and dairy-free lifestyle, it’s no secret that cheese is one of the hardest animal products to give up.
Whether you crave something with that creamy taste, that salty cheddar crumble, or that mozzarella melt, you’ve likely been looking for a non-dairy replacement product.
In this article, we’ve broken out the crackers and sampled the best vegan cheese on the market and ranked them accordingly.
Read on if you want to know the creamy cream of the crop when it comes to dairy-free cheese.
Our Top Vegan Cheese
1 - Bragg Premium Nutritional Yeast (Editor's Choice)
If you’re a vegan who likes to cook, then you need a healthy supply of nutritional yeast in the cupboard.
Packed full of flavor and nutritional benefits, this wonder ingredient has been the not-so-secret weapon for many of my favorite vegan recipes.
Sugar and salt-free, it can be added to almost any dish and used to improve the flavor.
- A healthy alternative to parmesan cheese
- Packed full of B vitamins
- Sugar and salt-free
- Excellent vegan recipe enhancer
- Can lose flavor fast if not stored correctly
As it’s made from yeast, it has that buttery tang that adds a cheesy quality to most dishes and has long been used as a parmesan alternative. Bragg is one of the originals and certainly one of the best.
2 - NOOCH IT! Organic Dairy-Free Cheese
Parmesan is another cheese that can be used as an ingredient to improve the taste of most foods — sprinkled over almost any dish it has a rich and salty, cheesy flavor that is hard to emulate.
Well, until Nooch It came onto the market at least.
This dairy-free hard cheese is primarily made from cashew nuts and nutritional yeast and is used to top off pasta, pizza, popcorn, veggies, or any other foods you feel could use a cheesy kick.
- Delicious parmesan replacement
- Perfect for sprinkling over your favorite foods
- Doesn’t need to be refrigerated so can be taken on the go
- A healthier alternative to hard-cheese
- A little too high in salt for some
- A relatively simple recipe you could make to taste for yourself
It’s a delicious alternative to real parmesan, and quite honestly, most would find it difficult to tell the difference.
3 - Follow Your Heart Provolone Slices
Follow Your Heart offers a range of different cheeses with the taste and texture you’ve been on the search for.
While all their cheeses are equally good, it’s the smoked gouda and provolone that are truly unique and utterly irresistible.
Dairy and soy-free, this is another vegan cheese that also happens to be an excellent option for those with allergies. Made from coconut oil, starch, and natural flavorings, it’s a simple recipe.
- Incredible texture
- Fantastic taste with none of the waxy mouthfeel
- Perfect in sandwiches and as part of other recipes too
- Unique flavors not found with other brands such as provolone or pepper jack
- A little pricey when compared to other cheeses
- Having just rebranded; we preferred the companies old name
We recommend stuffing ravioli with the vegan provolone cheese for a delicious dinner.
4 - Daiya Zesty Cheddar Style Cheese Sauce
Who doesn’t love nachos? It’s a classic snack at parties or home alone, but it just isn’t the same without a cheddar style cheese sauce.
Daiya has made cheddar queso that goes excellently over nachos with its rich, creamy consistency.
You can use it as a dip or warm it up and pour it over pasta and veggies. It’s got a tremendous cheesy cheddar flavor while remaining soy, gluten, and dairy-free.
- Completes a plate of nachos perfectly
- Versatile and tasty enough to be added to many other dishes
- A variety of flavors including; classic, alfredo, and zesty
- Strong cheddar cheese flavor
- Some find the taste entirely artificial
- Some have said the foil bags can seem a little underfilled
It’s a good cheddar cheese sauce alternative for those with allergies and those living a plant-based lifestyle.
5 - Violife Vegan Shredded Mozzarella
Mozzarella is possibly the most versatile and lusted after of the dairy-based cheeses.
It’s one of those ingredients that can make any dish better. Melted on the top of a pizza or sprinkled over a pasta dish, it’s the gooey cheese that melts like no other.
Violife has made a dairy-free alternative with the texture, taste, and melt of the real thing. This vegan cheese derives from coconut-oil, is fortified with B12, and is preservative-free.
- Great Mozzarella replacement
- Melts just like the real thing
- Goes well with pizza, pasta, and in sandwiches
- Can be bought in bulk and frozen
- Not quite as “wet” as real mozzarella
- Once melted does not congeal again and stays gloopy
Vegan cheeses are typically lower in fat, protein and calcium than regular cheese and are likely gluten-free. - Writer for Eating Well
It’s so good most people like to buy it in bulk, and it can be frozen with no impact on the flavor or consistency.
6 - Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese Style Spread
Kite Hill is a brand that is dedicated to making unforgettable dairy-free cheeses.
By using age-old techniques and traditionally proven methods to culture their almond milk, they ensure an authentic texture and taste.
Their cream cheese style spread is possibly one of their most excellent products, although I highly recommend the yogurts at breakfast as well.
- Authentically made with traditional techniques
- Dairy-free and all-natural
- Great base for lots of other recipes
- A broad range of delicious products to choose from
- Doesn’t use preservatives so needs to be used up quickly
- Some complain they’ve taken the tang too far and it tastes sour
7 - Parma! Vegan Parmesan
This vegan parmesan is made from nutritional yeast, nuts, a variety of natural seeds, and Himalayan crystal salt.
The ingredients alone are interesting, much like its taste.
Honestly, I don’t think this tastes like actual parmesan, but it is so interestingly good. It’s probably that salty cheese-like flavor coupled with the right texture.
- Tastes great! The original and bacon flavors are my favorites.
- Has natural and minimally processed ingredients
- Adds a dash of interesting flavor to any meal (I love them on pasta)
- Contains Omega-3 and vitamin B12
- It can be a bit salty for some’
- A little pricey
It’s also soy-free and gluten-free, so whether you’re entirely vegan or avoiding any allergic reactions, this could be the cheese for you.
8 - Pop Zest Artisan Cheese Dairy-Free Superfood Topping
This superfood topping is a high-protein nutritional yeast that goes well with soups and stir-fried veggies.
It’s packed with flavor from various herbs and spices that also contain a full vitamin B spectrum.
It’s from the brand Flavor Train, and if you’ve been in the vegan community for a while, I’m sure you’ve heard of them one way or another.
- It has that “umami” taste that goes well with any food
- Has 0 grams of fat
- Contains the full vitamin B spectrum
- Vegan, keto, and paleo-friendly
- It has that olive oil after taste
- Not salty enough for a cheese alternative
They have quite a line of yummy vegan goods and the Pop Zest is one of the more popular ones -- especially with kids! If you have a child at home, just sprinkle this to some baked potatoes or popcorn and you have a ready-to-eat, healthy vegan snack.
9 - So Delicious Cheese Ched Mont Jack
It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, soy-free, non-GMO, sugar-free, and cholesterol-free -- yes, all the good things, but my favorite about the So Delicious cheese is that it melts like the real thing. I’d say it melts better than most vegan mozarellas.
If you’re looking at making homemade chickpea tortillas or some veggie soup, this might be a good option.
The taste isn’t as cheesy as I’d like, but it’s great when used as a topping.
- It melts beautifully like real cheese
- Has a cheesy flavor
- Soy-free and non-GMO
- Has 0 sugars
- A cup has 7g of fat and 6g of carb -- not ideal when you’re cutting out on calories
- Raw texture isn’t the best
10 - Parma Zaan Sprinkles Vegan Parmesan Cheese
As mentioned above, it cannot be stressed how useful and versatile an excellent nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese can be.
Parma Zaan is made from almonds and doesn’t quite have the same benefits as nutritional yeast does. But what it lacks in nutrition profile it makes up for in flavor.
Parma Zaan has and perfected the cheesy flavor, which makes this perfect for a vegan alfredo sauce or for making some homemade vegan pesto.
- Versatile multi-purpose ingredient
- Big cheesy flavor
- Makes great vegan alfredo and pesto
- Simple, transparent ingredients
- No good for those with a nut allergy
- A big bag can clump if not shaken well
Sprinkled over almost anything; this vegan cheese can turn a bland dinner delicious.
11 - The Vegan Cheese Shoppe Macadamia Nut Brie
You know that the vegan cheese market has moved a long way if they are introducing a vegan macadamia nut brie now.
Brie is the cheesiest of cheeses, and it is the ultimate in soft, creamy, baked bliss. That the Vegan Cheese Shoppe has chosen to tackle this task and serve an alternative is brave.
Taste-wise, I and most consumers agree it’s not quite there. It does have similar notes of that warm brie flavor, though, and it’s an impressive attempt. The texture, though, is spot on.
- A viable dairy-free alternative to brie
- Made in Hawaii with Hawaiin macadamia nuts
- Goes great as a vegan cheese with wine
- Taste isn’t quite right
- Like with real brie the sticky texture can gum up your mouth
It is perfect with bread or crackers, just like the real thing.
Watch the video to know more about vegan cheese.
What’s The Best Vegan Cheese?
When choosing the best vegan cheese, you have to give it up to the products and companies that mimic the real thing the most closely.
For us, that means Violife and their Vegan Shredded Mozzarella is the clear winner. The product is almost indistinguishable from its dairy alternative.
When picking your favorite vegan cheese, it depends on what you’re on the search for in terms of flavor and texture. This list offers a lot of great options for you to try.