Let's bust a myth right out of the gate. A vegan pizza is just as enjoyable as a non-vegan one. We've even come to a place where vegans can order a perfect pizza and get it just like they've ordered it. The trick is knowing what to order and from where.
Let's go pizza hunting, and check out what the major pizza chains have to offer.
- Pizza Chains to Choose From
- Is Papa John's Vegan?
- Is Domino's Pizza Vegan?
- Is Pizza Hut Vegan?
- Vegan Pizza Crust Recipe
- Vegan Pepperoni Recipe
Pizza Chains to Choose From
You can find countless pizza takeout places depending on where you live. But, the three major chains remain the same.
- Papa John's
- Pizza Hut
And the good news is that all three famous pizzerias have vegan takeout options.
Papa John's, Pizza Hut, and Domino's all have vegan takeout options.
Is Papa John's Vegan?
Papa John's is so vegan that they have a menu to guide you through making your perfect vegan pizza.
- The vegan dough option is entirely plant-based and doesn't even include honey.
- The lack of vegan cheese options is still an issue. Simply mark the "no cheese" box.
- Two of Papa John's sauces are vegan-friendly - the Original sauce and BBQ.
- Choose as many veggies as you want from Papa John's menu.
Is Papa John's garlic sauce vegan?
One of the best parts of eating Papa John's takeout is dipping the yummy pizza in messy garlic butter, and no one can judge you.
Is garlic butter sauce not your thing? Never fear; Papa John's has BBQ and buffalo sauce that is vegan-friendly.
Is Pizza Hut Vegan?
For like five seconds, Pizza Hut offered Beyond Meat pizza toppings. It seems they've discontinued the options, with no date of return. But, you can still order a vegan Pizza Hut pizza.
Pizza Hut Vegan Options
- The Thin ‘N Crispy, Pan, and Hand Tossed crusts are vegan-friendly. You will want to avoid any crust flavor add-ons because most of them contain some sort of dairy.
- Make sure you check the 'no cheese' box. We will get vegan cheese takeout pizza one day.
- Stick with Pizza Hut's Classic marinara or buffalo pizza sauce.
- And, if you love colorful produce, Pizza Hut has plenty to pick from.
Is Dominos Pizza Crust Vegan?
Okay, so Domino's does not have a vegan pizza crust. Even the gluten-free option has honey, making it a no-go for vegans.
Dominos Vegan Options
While you might not eat a pizza from Domino's, they still have one or two options for a vegan.
You can build your own pasta vegan style with the robust tomato sauce and top it off with a variety of veggies. But that is about as far as it extends.
Vegan Pizza Crust Recipe
It is frustrating to feel like your missing out when someone orders pizzas. Dominoes is a good example of just not having options for vegans.
Homemade pizza crust is better, anyway.
- ¾ cup of warm water
- Two ¼ teaspoons of dry yeast
- One teaspoon of sugar
- One teaspoon of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- You will pour in the warm water, yeast, and sugar and stir them together. It may take up to ten minutes to activate and become foamy.
- Mix in the olive oil and salt.
- Pour in and mix ½ cup of all-purpose flour at a time.
- Knead the dough into a tight and cohesive ball for 5 minutes.
- Let your dough ball rise for about an hour in a greased bowl.
Vegan Pepperoni Recipe
One of the things that all three takeout pizza chains have in common - is no meat topping alternative. But nothing says you can't just make your own.
- Extra-firm tofu
- Sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Ground mustard seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- (optional) A1 sauce or liquid smoke for taste
- Once you've pressed the liquid out of your tofu, throw it and everything else on the list into the food processor.
- Sample and adjust to your taste buds.
- Pour out the mixture onto a baking sheet covered in parchment.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
Are Dominos cinnamon sticks vegan?
Domino's cinnamon sticks are not vegan because they contain dairy. But, nothing says you can't make your own version.
Are Papa John's breadsticks vegan?
Papa John's breadsticks not only are vegan-friendly, but they contain very few ingredients. And, remember, the garlic dipping sauce is vegan, too.
Are Pizza Hut breadsticks vegan?
Pizza Hut is a bit tricky when it comes to plain old breadsticks. While the dough is entirely vegan-friendly, the parmesan cheese they sprinkle on top makes a no-no. But, you can make them entirely vegan by just ordering them without the cheese.